Effective Date: December 2019
Information We Collect - We collect various information about you when you use our services, including:
- information you provide to us;
- information about how you use our websites, mobile applications, and other online services;
- information about the computers and devices you use to access our services;
- information about your online activities and your interests;
- information about how you respond to our communications;
- information about the location of your mobile device based on the location of nearby WiFi networks or, subject to your consent, information accessed via the location functionality of your device; and
- information about you from publicly or commercially available sources.
How We Use Information - We use information:
- to provide you with products and services, respond to your requests, manage contests, and to personalize the content on our services;
- for research purposes;
- to communicate with you about your account; learn about you; send you or provide you with ads, offers, or other content based on your interests;
- to resolve disputes; and
- to improve, maintain, and troubleshoot our services.
Sharing Information - We share information:
- with third parties, including service providers that process information on our behalf, to facilitate transactions and provide you with services;
- with our affiliates;
- to facilitate interest-based advertising; and
- in association with a transfer of a business or related assets; when there is a legal obligation to disclose your information; or to protect our legal rights, the public, or others.
You may update or delete the account information you provide us for any of our services in the account information page for that service.
You may indicate your preferences regarding marketing communications in the Newsletter Member Center of our services.
You can learn about your ability to register your "do not track" preferences in the Interest-Based Advertising section of the full Policy.
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information.
Our services are not intended for children under 18 years of age.
We are not responsible for any third-party products or services you access via our services.
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- How We Share the Information We Collect
- Third-Party Links and Content
- Children's Privacy
- Your Choices
- Notice to California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights
- International Transfers of Information
- Contact Information
What Information Do We Collect?
Information that you provide to us: We and our service providers collect information that you provide when you use our services. For example, to access certain parts of our services, you may have to register or subscribe for an account. During registration we may collect your name, address, username, password, and email address. You may also provide us with information when you post a message on our services; sign up to receive communications from us; register for contests; participate in surveys; purchase a subscription or classified ad; or contact us with a question, comment, or request. The information that you may provide us includes but is not limited to:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- Payment information, including account or card number
When you use social media platforms, applications or tools that enable features like audio or video content (sometimes known as “plugins”), or other features that are operated or offered by other companies (sometimes known as “third parties”) and are integrated into our services or allow you to connect to our services, we may collect information from those third parties. This may include payment services, login services or review platforms. Please refer to the privacy settings of the social media platforms or third-party features you use to manage how information is shared.
If you wish to forward an article or other information to a friend using our services, we will ask you to provide your friend’s name and email address. We may collect statistics on which articles are forwarded. We do not sell, rent, or market information about the friends to whom you forward articles or information, and we use your friends’ names and email addresses only for purposes of forwarding articles or other information subject to your request.
Passive data collection: Like most companies that offer services online, we and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer, tablet or mobile device when you use our services or interact with us. The information we may collect includes:
- IP address
- Operating system
- Device type
- Device manufacturer
- Device identifier
- Browser type
- Content viewed on our services
- Pages viewed immediately before and after you access our websites
- Which ads or content from us or our affiliated companies you view, access, or click on
- Your activities over time and across websites and apps within the McClatchy network and within the network of websites and apps serviced by the ad networks, advertisers, service providers, and other companies with which we do business, following your use of one of our websites or apps
- Whether you open our electronic communications and where you click within them
- Features of our services that you use
- Name and location of your Internet Service Provider
- Amount of time spent on our pages and how many pages you viewed during your visit
For more information about how we collect this information, see Use of Web Beacons, Cookies and Other Technologies.
Location Information - Our mobile applications may collect precise information about the location of your mobile device via your device’s GPS or cellular connectivity, but only with your express consent. Once you have consented to the collection of such precise location information via your mobile device, you may adjust this consent by managing your Location Services preferences through the settings of your mobile device. We may also be able to infer your location from other information that you provide or information that we collect passively, such as the known locations of nearby WiFi networks.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with and communicating with you about the products, services, or information you request or purchase;
- providing you with information and important updates about your account or subscription, our products and services;
- using your location information to deliver location-based services that you request or location-based offers that may be of interest to you;
- delivering information or offers for goods or services from our publications, our partners, or third parties that may be of interest to you (see the Interest-Based Advertising section for more information);
- personalizing your experience when using our services and providing content based on your interests or other demographics;
- allowing you to share content and information from our publication via social media, email, and other means;
- improving or troubleshooting our services;
- determining whether you are eligible for contests or promotions;
- generating and analyzing statistics about how you use our services and respond to our communications;
- linking your activities across the devices you use to access the services so that we can learn about how you use the services and the devices you use, contact you across devices, and provide you with a consistent experience across devices;
- creating compiled, aggregate, and anonymous information about the users' of our services and how our users interact with our services ("Aggregated Information");
- safeguarding your information;
- helping our advertisers and other companies better understand our users; and
- detecting, preventing, and responding to potential fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms of Service, violations of law, or other misuse of our services.
We may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect from our services and elsewhere for any of these purposes.
We also participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Cooperative to better understand how you use certain websites and apps of ours across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. Learn more about how Adobe does this and how you may opt-out of this program.
How We Share the Information We Collect
We may disclose information about you:
- to service providers that process payments, handle marketing communications, provide technical support, conduct surveys, or perform other services for us;
- to business partners when you have elected to receive communications from them;
- to business partners that engage in interest-based advertising;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process;
- as necessary to process transactions and provide you with the services, products, or information you request or purchase;
- when we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to protect the rights or property of our affiliates or us, or to protect the safety of you or others;
- to detect, prevent, or respond to potential fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms of Service, violations of law, or other misuse of our services
- to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, sale, or other transfer of all or part of our assets; or
- subject to your consent.
We do not share your credit card information or other financial information to third parties for their marketing purposes or other independent use. When we share information with third parties for processing credit card or other payments, we require those third parties to comply with applicable Payment Card Industry standards.
We may share Aggregated Information with third parties that provide content and services for us. We may also share Aggregated Information with advertisers and others so that they can better understand our audience. For example, we might disclose the gender, age, or geographical breakdown of our user base.
Unless you have consented otherwise, we do not sell, rent, barter, or otherwise give away user lists, users' names, email addresses, or mailing addresses so that advertisers or other third parties may send you advertisements or other solicitations.
You should know that when you voluntarily disclose personal information publicly on our services (for example, when commenting on articles), that information may be collected and used by others and you may receive unsolicited communications from other people. When you share information via features offered on our services by other companies (sometimes known as “third-party plugins”), the privacy settings of the other companies for those features govern how the information will be shared. When you are logged into our services, depending on the service you are logged into, your name may be displayed, and your email address and contact information may be viewed. Be sure to logout of your account and take other steps to ensure that others cannot view that information without your knowledge.
Third-Party Links and Content
Our services and communications may contain links to or content from websites or other online services provided by third parties. We expect our partners and third-party providers to respect your privacy, but you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by websites and other services that are not under our control. The privacy practices of third parties are governed by their privacy policies, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of all websites and online services that you use, view, or visit.
We and some of our advertisers work with ad networks and ad delivery platforms that place retargeting pixels on users’ computers to gather information about users’ online activities, such as browsing histories and demographic information. This information can be aggregated into audience segments, which help deliver relevant advertising to users visiting our websites and third-party websites that use the same pixels.
Some of our services and communications may contain tiny electronic images known as web beacons. We use web beacons to assist us in delivering cookies on our services and to allow us to count users who have visited those pages. We may include web beacons in promotional email messages in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon.
We also participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Cooperative, which uses Device Identifiers (the unique number associated with a smartphone or similar device) to better understand how you use certain websites and apps across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. Learn more about how Adobe does this and how you may opt-out of this program.
To help ensure that you receive ads that are relevant to your interests on our services, our advertisers’ services, and elsewhere on the Internet, we and third-parties (including service providers, advertisers, and advertising companies) may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps, and devices. We and third parties may use that information to help understand audience segments. Advertisers may use the segments to determine the audience groups to which they wish to deliver particular ads. Through this process, we do not use information that directly identifies you.
You can opt out of receiving interest-based advertising on your computer or laptop from some companies, including us and our service providers, by visiting the following sites: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/, http://www.evidon.com/consumers-privacy/opt-out, https://preferences-mgr.truste.com/ https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/, https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/index.htm, and http://www.rubiconproject.com/privacy/consumer-online-profile-and-opt-out/. If you wish to opt out of receiving interest-based advertising on your mobile device, please see the advertising preferences information on support.apple.com for iOS devices or support.google.com for Android devices.
Opting out does not mean you will no longer receive advertising. It means that the company or companies from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns.
We care about children’s privacy. Our services are not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18. We will not knowingly allow children under 18 to register for or become members of our services. If we discover that we have received any information from a child under 18, we will take reasonable steps to promptly remove that information. If you believe we have collected information from anyone under 18 without parental consent, please contact us via any of the channels listed below.
In general, if you register to use any of our services, you may update the information you have provided to us for any of our services by visiting the account information page of that service.
When you register for our services, you may be able to indicate your preferences regarding marketing communications. In the Newsletter Management page of our services, you may be able to change those preferences and select the categories of communications that interest you. When we or our affiliates send you emails containing offers that may be of interest of you, those emails may contain links via which you may opt out of receiving those communications.
You will not be able to opt-out of receiving certain service-related or transactional communications relating to our services unless you cancel your registration or subscription.
While we strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information, no information system can be 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we cannot be responsible for information that you transmit over networks that we do not control or information that you choose to publicly disclose. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information.
We make reasonable efforts to secure the account information pages and other registration locations for our services, such that they can be accessed only by our authorized personnel or by logging in with your member name and password.
We endeavor to protect the security of your payment information during transmission by using technology that encrypts information you submit.
Notice to California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights:
If you are a California resident, you have the right to receive: a) information identifying all third-party companies to which we may have disclosed, within the past year, personal information pertaining to you and your family for those companies’ direct marketing purposes; and b) a description of the categories of personal information disclosed. To obtain such information, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a California resident, in addition to your rights under the California “Shine the Light” law, the California Consumer Protection Act of 2018 (CCPA) may provide additional rights. Continue reading to learn more.
Information We Collect
At various times, we may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“Personal Information”). We may have collected the following categories of Personal Information from consumers (when applicable) within the last twelve (12) months:
|Category of Personal Information||Examples|
|Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifiers (such as device identifiers, internet protocol address, cookies, beacons, pixel tags mobile ad identifiers or similar technology, customer numbers, unique pseudonyms, user aliases, telephone numbers, or other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers that can be used to identify a particular customer or device), online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.|
|Personal Information categories listed under the California Customer Records statute||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Please note that some categories of Personal Information under this statute may also be included in other categories of Personal Information.|
|Characteristics of protected classes under California or federal law||Age (if 40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).|
|Commercial information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.|
|Biometric information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.|
|Geolocation data||Tracking of physical location or movements.|
|Sensory data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.|
|Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.|
|Non-public education information||Education records directly related to a student that are maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.|
|Inferences drawn from other Personal Information||Creation of a profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.|
This Policy does not address the following categories of Personal Information which are not covered by CCPA:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information protected under other laws, such as health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data; or
- Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Sources of Personal Information We Collect
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you or your agent. For example, during account registration, we may ask for Personal Information such as your name, e-mail address, year of birth, gender, street address, job title and industry and related information.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our website. For example, we may collect Personal Information that you provide us when you comment on articles, participate in message boards, and submit images, photos, videos, or other content to the Services.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the Personal Information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes and commercial purposes:
- To provide you with products and services, respond to your requests, manage contests, and to personalize the content on our services;
- Internal auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Short-term, transient use, provided the Personal Information that is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about a consumer or otherwise alter an individual consumer's experience outside the current interaction, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction;
- Performing services on behalf of the business or service provider, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by the business, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us;
- To provide you with email alerts, event registrations and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collections;
- To improve our website and present its contents to you;
- To communicate with you about your account; learn about you; send you or provide you with ads, such as tailored ads, offers, or other content based on your interests;
- To resolve disputes;
- Collect payment information, such as your credit card number and expiration date, where appropriate to process a financial transaction you have requested;
- To improve, maintain, and troubleshoot our services; and
- To comply with regulatory or legal processes.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose or sell your Personal Information to a third party for a business or commercial purpose. In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have disclosed or sold the following categories of Personal Information for a business purpose or a commercial purpose:
- California Customer Records Personal Information categories.
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Internet or other similar network activity
- Geolocation data
- Inferences drawn from other Personal Information
We share Personal Information with the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates;
- Service providers;
- Government regulators;
- Parties involved in a legal process;
- To an entity involved in the sale of our business; and
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your Personal Information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
As disclosed above, we and our advertising partners may collect Personal Information (such as the cookies stored on your browser, the advertising identifier on your mobile device, or the IP address of your device) when you visit our site (or use our app). We, and our partners, use this Personal Information to tailor and deliver ads to you on our site (or app), or to help tailor ads to you when you visit others' sites (or use others' apps). To tailor ads that may be more relevant to you, we and/or our partners may share the information we collect with third parties.
CCPA Consumer Privacy Rights
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. This section describes those CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those CCPA rights.
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you.
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Subject to certain exceptions, you have the right to request that we delete the Personal Information that we collected about you. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete your Personal Information from our records subject to certain exceptions. In the event that we are unable to honor a request, we will inform you of the reasons behind the decision.
In the event that we sell your Personal Information, you have the right to submit a request to opt-out of the sale of your Personal Information. You may also choose to opt-out of the sales of certain categories of Personal Information, should you choose. You may later choose to permit us to sell your Personal Information.
In the event that we sell your Personal Information and if you do not wish for us to sell your Personal Information to third parties for advertising purposes (if we sell your Personal Information), select the applicable control from the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link provided. After opting out, we may continue to share some Personal Information with our partners (who will function as our service providers in such instance) to help us perform advertising-related functions such as, but not limited to, measuring the effectiveness of our ads, managing how many times you may see an ad, reporting on the performance of our ads, ensuring services are working correctly and securely, providing aggregate statistics and analytics, improving when and where you may see ads and/or reducing ad fraud. If you access this site (or app) from other devices or browsers, visit the link below from those devices or browsers to ensure your choice applies to the Personal Information collected when you use those devices or browsers.
Additionally, although clicking the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link will opt you out of the sale of your Personal Information for advertising purposes, it will not opt you out of the use of previously collected and sold Personal Information (except for Personal Information sold within 90 days prior to your exercising your right to opt out) or all interest-based advertising. If you would like more information about how to opt out of interest-based advertising in desktop and mobile browsers on a particular device, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#. You may download the AppChoices app at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of a Consumer’s Privacy Rights
You have a right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your CCPA rights. We respect your rights and we will not discriminate against you in violation of the CCPA for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
Notice of Financial Incentive
We do not offer any financial incentive, benefit, or price differences in return for the disclosure, deletion, or sale of Personal Information.
Procedures for Exercising Your CCPA Consumer Rights
To exercise the CCPA consumer rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at: 866-806-0017
- Visit these sites:
In order to protect your Personal Information, please note that:
- Only you or an authorized agent registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information;
- You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period;
- The request must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative; and
- The description of the request must provide sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. Although you may use an authorized agent to submit a request to opt-out on your behalf, we may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proof with the request that they have been authorized by you to act on the consumer’s behalf.
It is important to know that you are not required to create an account with us to make a verifiable request. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
If you have an account with us, we may deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response through our web portal. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding your verifiable request's receipt. For data portability requests, we will select an industry-acceptable format to provide your Personal Information.
Unless a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, we will not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request. If we determine that a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, we will tell you why we made that decision and reserve the right to either refuse to act on your request or charge you a reasonable fee to complete your request.
McClatchy Privacy Office
2100 Q Street
Sacramento, CA 95816-6899
Last Updated: December 2019
International Transfers of Information
If you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices, we may be reached at
808 Throckmorton St., Fort Worth, TX 76102,
or at email@example.com.
Definition of Certain Terms
IP Address- the identifier assigned to facilitate communications over the Internet. Depending on how you connect to the Internet, your IP address may always be the same, or it may change each time you access the Internet. An IP address does not in and of itself disclose your name, email address, or home or work address.
Service Providers- unaffiliated companies that perform services on our behalf, such as printing, mailing, processing payments, managing the delivery of advertisements, collections, data processing, or communications. We strive to limit the amount of users’ personally identifiable information shared with service providers. We ask these service providers to keep confidential the information that we provide to them, and we require them to not share, sell, or rent any information collected from our users that directly identifies our users.